Thursday, 19 May 2011

Day 2

Today I decided to start editing the footage from the Southbank Centre. This is where a team of volunteers created a rooftop garden in London . The stories were very compelling but the footage was rather shaky and poor but I decided to try my best. The footage was an MP4 format that I found FinalCutPro was having problems with. So I decided to convert them using Quicktime to Mov files as this would work better in Final Cut. Unfortunately though, this did not solve the problem. So for the next hour or so I emailed tech support and looked around for answers on google. Apparently, the flipcam that they used to shoot the footage was quite notorious with having problemsin Final Cut. This was a real shame as I felt that this would have been a good opportunity to show my editing skills to the team at Eden.

However, today I met freelance camera operator, Shayne House. Tom Trinkle suggested that I accompany Shayne as he films down at the biomes to capture the "Ant Plant" or Myrmecoda, as part of their Freaky Nature exhibition.



Here is a clip of the finished product.

This was really interesting as I got to see how a freelance cameraman works. While walking around the biomes there seemed to be so much that would be worthy of a one minute viral video. Much of the staff that I have met, especially down on site have been very interesting characters, welcoming and interesting.

That afternoon we also had another filming opportunity with the Nofit State Circus. This is where we met Dan who gave us a juggling demo to create hype for the Labyrinth show that will be over the summer at Eden.

Given that it is only within recent years that the media department at Eden has been able to expand, their equipment is still very sparse which I found surprising considering the global scale of Eden. Tom and I spoke regarding me coming back in the summer to film the circus shows, using equipment that I could source from the university.

Here are the couple of finished videos that we filmed on the Nofit State Circus..



No comments:

Post a Comment